A small dedicated 6-10 seat electronic preview theater. This is has not only been used as an Electronic Cinema research project, it is also used during production and available for rent for Production Companies who wish to screen rushes or edits, or other work in progress. The installation produces a very high quality image, approaching either a video to film transfer, or digital cinema simulation in real time. The mini-theater simulates a cinema-theater-like setup in a fully darkened and soundproof room. Nearly all sorts of electronic images can be displayed in near to theatre-like conditions.
It can be particularly useful for:
- Productions who are shooting in video, HDTV or digital cinema with the intent to transfer to film or DCP later. You can have a closer idea of what your movie or freshly shot images are going to look like as soon as possible in the production process, short of renting a full blown commercial theatre. Rushes or Edits.
- Screening video rushes when shooting on film. Evaluate your work in a calm environment with the right angle of view, and close-to-film contrast and color.
- Checking off-line edits in a theater like environment. Rhythm changes with screen size. Check off-line edits in a closer-to-theater environment while the work is in progress.
- Preview High Def. CGI or VFX work to see how they perform on a bigger screen.
- Screening and studying 3D stereoscopic video during 3D production and post-production
High image quality is achieved by installing a D-ILA projector on a medium size screen, the use of a high performance de-interlacing progressive scan pre-processor with a color management system, and a very precise alignment of the whole setup and image chain. De projector can simulate both Rec709 as well as P3 color space.
The mini theater is also equipped with a Dolby Surround and, Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 channel surround sound system. The center speaker is installed behind the sound transparent screen.
Screen size is 1.80 by 1.24 meters. At a viewing distance of 2 - 3 meters, the viewing angle is approaching that of a real cinema theater. The room is soundproof, light proof, has a silenced and soundproof continuous ventilation system, and silent heating and air conditioning.
There are region free Blu-Ray, DVD and even a Laserdisc player. A media player will play virtually all file formats from USB media or from the in house FTP server where you can deposit files on from anywhere in the world. There is also a Betacam SP (625/50) (PAL/SECAM) and VHS, S-VHS, U-matic LB, LD, CDV, VCD, DVD players for PAL, SECAM and NTSC. Connections are available to connect any other player you would like to bring in. SDI, HD-SDI and HDMI inputs are available as well as all flavours of analog inputs (composite PAL/SECAM/NTSC, S-video, RGB component, YCrCb, RGBS, RGBHV). The projector has a 4K imager but is limited to 2K input (internal uprez). The projector is 3D capable and 3D HFR capable up to 120 fps (60 fps/eye). Readable 3D formats are Side by Side, over under, frame packed and DUAL-HD-SDI. The projector has a lamp boost feature allowing to render 3D imagery to up to 10 fl through the running active 3D glasses.
Actual Equipment list:
- THX approved JVC 3-chip D-ILA projector with 4K imager and 3D and 3D HFR capability. The projector has a rated 10.000:1 contrast ratio, and the setup achieves 140 lux (14 fl) white on screen (max 100 lux, 10 fl for 3D).
- DVDO Duo image processor with four field de-interlacing (SD and HD), 24p compatibility, frame lock, color management, and zooming, re-sizing, re-anamorphing, re-framing, and underscan capabilities if need be. The DVDO also includes high performance analog to digital conversion for analog component video and a high performance digital PAL/SECAM/NTSC decoder with digital comb filter and chroma detail enhancement based on Y-signal detail, effectively limiting color bleeding. Decodes PAL, SECAM, NTSC, NTSC4.43 and PAL60. Composite and S-Video inputs.
- MATROX 3D SDI, HD-SDI and DUAL HD-SDI to HDMI and HDMI 3D converter, supporting virtally all formats including dual HD-SDI to frame packed HDMI 1.4a (no 4K signals tough)
- Players for virtually any type of optical videodiscs from any country, color system or region. (LD, VCD, SVCD, CD-I, DVD, DVD-+R, Blu-Ray)(No HD-DVD)
- a WD media player allows to play back most AV files from most USB media or through the ethernet network from the in house FTP server. Contrary to many computers, the WD player will respect the frame rate of the original file, and lock to it, avoiding undesired frame rate conversions or split up frames.
- VHS, S-VHS and U-matic players for PAL, SECAM and NTSC.
- Betacam SP and DV player for 625/50 (PAL/SECAM).
- The PC, DVD, Betacam SP and DV players all use a fully separated three channel (component) signal path up to the projector imagers (no coding).
- Mono, Stereo, Stereo MS, Dolby Stereo (Lt,Rt), Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, DTS, and DTS master sound decoding followed by full 6 channel discrete sound amplification and reproduction. Dolby Digital can be reproduced at measured reference volume level.
- A Pentium PC can display still picture files, has a dedicated e-mail address to send files to and will soon be upgraded with the possibility to play non-encrypted 3D DCP.
- 14 pairs of original JVC branded X-Pand USA made active IR 3D shutter glasses for 3D viewing
- Click here to see the list of equipement that was used between 2000 and 2011 (CRT based).